When Do I Need to See an Orthopedic Specialist?

When Do I Need to See an Orthopedic Specialist?

Posted on 11/12/2021

Depending on your profession, your job can be hard manual work. Maybe it involves performing repetitive motions, moving about all day long, or lifting heavy objects. Whatever the case, the muscles, nerves, and joints in your body can take a beating.


Who Is an Orthopedic Specialist?


This is a medical professional trained in the diagnosis and treatment of musculoskeletal injuries and conditions. The musculoskeletal system consists of bones, muscles, joints, nerves, tendons, and ligaments. Orthopedic specialists or surgeons have the training required to manage everything from an acute injury, such as an ankle sprain, to chronic joint problems, including arthritis pain.


An orthopedic specialist refers to an orthopedic surgeon or an orthopedic physician. Orthopedists are healthcare professionals who specialize in preventing and treating deformities and problems of the muscular and skeletal systems. You may seek orthopedic treatment due to significant swelling, pain, and/or deformity related to a musculoskeletal structure or joint injury.


You do not have to let decreased movement and/or pain take over your life. Thus, it is important to know when to seek appropriate treatment from a specialist. You also need to know what to expect from your treatment.


When to See an Orthopedic Specialist


Most treatment options provided by orthopedists often involve surgery, recovery, and aftercare. However, they also involve other less-invasive procedures. To determine when to request an appointment with an orthopedist, consider the following warning signs:


Shoulder Pain


Are you experiencing shoulder pain that tends to increase at night and worsen when you move? If so, you should schedule an appointment with an orthopedist as soon as possible. When accompanied by tenderness around your joint, these symptoms may be a sign of tendonitis.


This condition often results from injury or overuse. It can display the same symptoms in your wrist, heel, or elbow. Tendons join the muscles in your body to your bones. When they are injured, overworked, or lose their elasticity due to the aging process, inflammation and swelling can occur.


Difficulty Performing Everyday Activities


Joint and bone discomfort are quite common among the elderly. However, this should not inhibit one’s ability to perform daily activities. If you are finding it more difficult to accomplish simple activities like walking your dog or climbing stairs, you should schedule an appointment with an orthopedic specialist.


Chronic Pain


This is any pain in your body that lasts for more than three months. You may experience a few days of pain and/or discomfort occasionally. But when it persists for several weeks or months, you should seek expert treatment from an orthopedic professional.


Limited Range of Motion


Do some of your joints feel tighter as days go by? Is this problem limiting your range of motion? If so, you might be suffering from arthritis. In this case, you need to seek treatment from a licensed orthopedic specialist to prevent your condition from worsening.


Other signs you need to see an orthopedic expert include:


  • Numb or tingling hands

  • Swollen joints

  • Pain after repetitive motions

  • Bruised, stiff, and/or weak muscles

  • Soft tissue injury that fails to improve within two days

  • Instability while standing or walking


It is important to address any musculoskeletal problem before it worsens. But to do so, you need to determine when to schedule an appointment with an orthopedic specialist.


To learn more about orthopedic surgery, contact East Bay Hand & Upper Extremity at our office in Oakland, California. You can call 510.904.1100 today to schedule an appointment.


Please contact us today to schedule an appointment or get more information about our hand and upper extremity surgical services.